Interested in a Building Trades Career?
YouthBuild is a construction pre-apprenticeship program designed to help Opportunity Youth complete high school, obtain nationally recognized credentials, and obtain career skills and acquire permanent employment.
While working to obtain credentials, learners rehab Detroit homes, which are later sold or rented to low-income families.
Learners also participate in work readiness and leadership training, including a Youth Council and student-led community service projects.
If you're a resident of Detroit, Highland Park, or Hamtramck, between the ages of 18-24, and didn't finish high school, YouthBuild can give you access to multiple opportunities including:
- Instruction and tutoring for GED/High School Completion
- Career readiness training
- Paid hands-on experience
- Safety certifications
- Assistance with job placement & internships
Learners participate in an apprenticeship readiness program sponsored by the North American Building Trades Union (NABTU) that will lead to an NABTU nationally recognized credential. The MC3 course is designed to introduce young people to the trades, to help them pass apprenticeship exams, and to satisfy the skills and behaviors that are required by the unions and contractors. The goal of this standardized, comprehensive 120-hour plus construction course is to get more students into successful careers in Building Trades Registered Apprenticeships.
Additional offerings from the program also include:
- GED and High School diploma presentation
- Nationally recognized building trades certificate from the North America’s Building Trades Union (NABTU)
- MIOSHA 10 Certificate
- First Aid and CPR Certificate
- WorkKeys Preparation
- Job shadowing and on-the-job training opportunities
- Career readiness and financial education training
- Wraparound services
Contact Joey Dominick if you are interested!
1600 E. Grand Blvd. | Detroit, MI 48211
248.884.8746 | [email protected]
YouthBuild Highlights in 2021
- 69 Youth served
- 92% placed in employment or postsecondary education and/or career training
- Learners have completed 1,860 hours of community service
- Successfully modified program structure to include online and in-person training and education options.
- Average hourly rate for learners employed during program - $14.69
- Average hourly rate for learners employer after graduation - $16.38