Yes! Detroit residents who complete a Detroit at Work Job Readiness Event get early access to apply for production operator positions with FCA in Detroit.
- Residents of zip codes 48213, 48214 and 48215 can apply as early as July 6
- All Detroit residents can apply starting July 20
Job Readiness Events include 5 steps designed to prepare you for success at FCA:
1. Verify that you are eligible to apply for FCA
2. Provide an overview of working at FCA and the application process
3. Complete a practice assessment to prepare you for the application
4. Sign a drug-free pledge
5. Submit proof of your Detroit residency
You must complete all 5 steps in order to be “On the List” to apply early for FCA.
Fill out this form to register for a virtual Job Readiness Event
Registering with Detroit at Work and completing a Job Readiness Event allows you to access the application early as a Detroit resident. If you do not want to complete the Job Readiness process, you will still be able to apply to FCA, but you will have to wait until after the Detroit-only priority window closes.
If you have already completed a Job Readiness Event, you do not need to do it again. You are still eligible to apply for FCA even if you already applied last fall.
Production Operators are the front-line workers responsible for assembling the Jeep Grand Cherokee. This position can be physically demanding, requiring lifting, bending, and long periods of standing.
Production Operators are critical to successfully manufacturing safe, high-performing vehicles. Learn more about working for FCA by watching this video
The basic FCA job requirements for Production Operator are:
- 18 years of age or older
- High school diploma or equivalent
- State or Federal ID
- Eligible to work in the US (as verified through the federal I-9 process)
- Pass a drug screen and physical
The 4,950 jobs are permanent, full-time positions with the following benefits:
- Health care for qualified employees and dependents
- Basic vision coverage after 60 days
- Basic dental coverage after 1 year
- A 401(k) plan with company contributions
- Paid holidays and vacation after 90 days
- Employee life insurance
- Tuition Assistance
There will also be temporary employees hired to fill in for shift vacancies. These employees are eligible to work 40 hours / week and may receive some benefits.
You will receive the link to apply to your email. This link is specific to you and cannot be shared. The application is 100% online and it is strongly recommended that you complete it on a computer, NOT on a smartphone.
Yes, FCA is a background-friendly employer and returning citizens are strongly encouraged to apply. The results of a background check will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by FCA hiring management. It is critical that all candidates be honest on the application. The number one reason FCA applicants with a background are rejected are because they failed to disclose the conviction, not because of the conviction itself. Be honest about your background. It will not automatically disqualify you.
You can complete a Job Readiness Event online or through a paper packet:
1. Online: register for a Job Readiness Event here or through your Detroit at Work profile under “Workshops”
2. Paper Packet: Call 313-962-WORK to schedule a time to pick up a packet from the nearest open Career Center to you.
You can verify your residency by taking a picture of your photo ID or a recent bill with your address on it and uploading it to your Detroit at Work profile
Upload a photo by:
1. Logging into your profile
2. Clicking on “My Profile” at the top of the screen
3. Scrolling down to “Upload Documents” at the bottom of the page
4. Clicking on “Upload Files”
Once the facility is running at full capacity, there will be 4,950 new jobs. The FCA jobs will be filled over the next 12 months. Additional job openings and timing will be communicated at Detroit at Work at a later date.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), FCA US LLC is a North American automaker based in Auburn Hills, Michigan. It designs, manufactures, and sells or distributes vehicles under the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, FIAT and Alfa Romeo brands, as well as the SRT performance designation. The Company also distributes Mopar and Alfa Romeo parts and accessories.
FCA is expanding its Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit and convert the current Mack Avenue Engine Complex into a vehicle assembly plant for production of next generation Jeep Grand Cherokee.