Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), FCA US LLC is a North American automaker based in Auburn Hills, Michigan. It designs, manufactures, and sells or distributes vehicles under the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, FIAT and Alfa Romeo brands, as well as the SRT performance designation. The Company also distributes Mopar and Alfa Romeo parts and accessories.
FCA is expanding its Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit and convert the current Mack Avenue Engine Complex into a vehicle assembly plant for production of next generation Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Once the facility is running at full capacity, there will be 4,950 new jobs. The FCA jobs will be filled over the next 12 months. Additional job openings and timing will be communicated at Detroit at Work at a later date.
Yes. When FCA opens the application process there will be a four-week window available for Detroiters to apply early, starting with residents of impact zone ZIP codes 48213, 48214 and 48215. You must live in the City of Detroit to apply during this time. The second application window is expected to open mid-2020.
For a Detroit resident to apply in the early time frame, they will need to:
- Register through Detroit at Work (detroitatwork.com)
- Attend a Detroit at Work Job Readiness Events
- Meet FCA employment qualifications – More details available at Job Readiness Events
The Detroit at Work/FCA Job Readiness Events will begin mid-January. Log into your Detroit At Work account to see available dates, times, and locations.
Production Operators are the front line workers for the plants production lines. They do a lot of walking, standing, lifting, and bending. It’s one of the exciting jobs in the plant because you’re helping to produce vehicles.
The basic FCA job requirements for Production Operator positions are as follows:
- 18 years of age or older
- High school diploma or equivalent
- State or Federal ID
- Eligible to work in the US (as verified through the federal I-9 process)
- Pass a drug screen and physical administered before starting work. Marijuana use for any reason (recreational or prescription) is not permitted. Any applicant who uses Marijuana will fail FCA’s drug test, and will be disqualified from the application process.
- Applicants are also required to pass FCA’s standards for the background check.
- Please note that FCA has agreed via the Development Agreement to give special hiring consideration to returning citizens and veterans
- Successfully complete the FCA’s application, the interview process, and work readiness training, if required.
Qualified candidates must have a U.S. Department of Labor Certificate of Apprenticeship in their trade, or eight (8) years of documented experience in that trade.
It is possible that you will need more training before you’ll be eligible to be hired as an FCA skilled trades worker. Detroit at Work will have future updates.
The early application order is as follows:
- UAW employees that were laid off or who are temporary employees at one of the sites now
- DETROIT residents who reside in the Impact Area (48213, 48214, 48215),
- All other Detroit residents
Only Detroiters who register at detroitatwork.com will receive a link to apply during the DETROIT only early access application window.
FCA will follow all required rules for UAW hires. We have been assured by FCA that Detroiters have priority except for UAW accommodations as governed by UAW hiring priorities.
Detroit at Work is partnering with FCA to offer dedicated application, interview and job readiness support to Detroit residents in securing employment at the new facility. Giving Detroiters early access is part of the development agreement between the City of Detroit and FCA.
Anyone can apply for the FCA jobs after the 4 week Detroit-only early access window.
Detroiters can register with Detroit at Work for the FCA job application at any of the Job Readiness Events. All Detroiters who attended a Job Readiness Event will receive updates on workshops and tutoring to prepare for the FCA application and interview process.
The wages for full-time production positions start at $17.00 per hour with scheduled annual increases up to $29.94 per hour.
The wages for temporary employees start at $15.78 per hour with increases up to $19.28 per hour.
Skilled Trades employees earn $34.72 per hour.
The 4,950 jobs are permanent, full-time positions with the following benefits:
- Health care for qualified employees and dependents
- Basic vision coverage after 60 days
- Basic dental coverage after 1 year
- A 401(k) plan with company contributions
- Paid holidays and vacation after 90 days
- Employee life insurance
- Tuition Assistance
There will also be temporary employees hired to fill in for shift vacancies. These employees are eligible to work 40 hours / week and may receive some benefits.
Detroiters who register through Detroitatwork.com will be notified via text and/or email when the early access application window is open for them. They will receive a link to apply online and need to complete the application during the determined time frame. The application must be completed online.
All Detroit residents should register beforehand with Detroit at Work to receive priority access to the job application before it is open to the general population.
You do not need a driver's license but you must have a valid form of Federal or State ID. Please plan to bring this documentation with you to your Job Readiness Event.
If you do not have an official State ID or License you will still be able to attend the event, but you will need to apply for official ID proving that you are a Detroit resident and bring it to one of our several Detroit at Work Career Centers no later than March 31, 2020 in order to be eligible for the early access application process.
Yes, FCA is a background-friendly employer and returning citizens are strongly encouraged to apply. The results of a background check will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by FCA hiring management. It is critical that all candidates be honest on the application. The number one reason FCA applicants with a background are rejected are because they failed to disclose the conviction, not because of the conviction itself. Be honest about your background. It will not automatically disqualify you.