Adult Education - GED/High School Completion
Join the online Detroit At Work community here:
Detroit at Work and Detroit Public School Community District (DPSCD) have partnered to move adult education programs from previous locations to neighborhood Career Centers, in order to provide adult learners in Detroit with free classes to upgrade academic skills, complete high school, pursue General Educational Development (GED), and participate in job placement and other services.
DPSCD adult education programs are 100% tuition free and include safe, online options. You can enroll into adult education at any time between September and May and go at your own pace, choosing the number of days and hours per week you spend in instruction. All adult learners will also have access to Detroit at Work’s job readiness workshops, information on in-demand careers and special hiring opportunities.
Beginning soon, Detroit at Work will be able to offer laptops and internet access to adult learners who commit to the program and meet other requirements. You must be a Detroit resident to qualify.
Learn to Earn
We are also excited to offer a new program, Learn to Earn, to those who qualify. This intensive program is designed to help Detroiters get their GED or high school diploma quickly while earning a stipend.
What makes this program unique?
- Get your GED or diploma in record time!
- By dedicating at least 20 hours per week to instruction, many students are ready to take their high school completion exams or take the GED exam in as little as 4-6 months!
- Learn about careers and build job skills!
- Explore new careers. Build skills that help you get a new or better job after you get your GED/diploma. A career coach will help you develop an individualized career plan.
- Program includes a weekly stipend & other supports!
- For eligible students, the program includes a laptop and internet access, a weekly stipend for up to 6 months, help with transportation and referrals to childcare.
This year, registration for all DPSCD adult education programs, including Learn to Earn, starts with Detroit at Work. Click the LOGIN/SIGN UP button when you are ready to get started. You will complete the following steps:
- Login to the online Detroit at Work community. If you are new to Detroit at Work you will answer a few questions to set up a profile
- Go to Workshops and watch the HIGH SCHOOL COMPLETION VIDEO
- A career center professional will call you within 3 days to start the process and register you for an initial test. Your results will help DPSCD and Detroit at Work determine which program is best for you.
If you need help or a computer to register, contact Detroit at Work at (313) 962-9675(WORK) and ask to be connected to a Career Center to enroll into adult education programs.
NOTE: DPSCD’s English as a Second Language program (ESL) will remain at its same locations. For information on ESL programs or for more detailed information on DPSCD’s GED and high school completion programs, please visit detroitk12.org/adulted.
Join the online Detroit at Work community to access jobs, workshops and more.
- If you registered for FCA job opportunities and events, then you already have an account and you can ‘Log In’ using the email and password you used to register.
- If you have received services at a Career Center in the past five years and you remember the email address you provided, use that email address to Log In (if you don’t remember your password, please use the ‘Forgot Your Password’ link to reset it)
- If you have received services at a Career Center in the past five years but you don’t remember the email address you provided, call 313-962-WORK so we can look up your account and give you access
- If you are new to our system, please click ‘Sign Up’ to create a new account.
- If you are unsure or need assistance, please call 313-962-WORK (9675).