Detroit Environmental Solutions
Detroit Environmental Solutions is NOW HIRING DETROITERS!
Detroit Environmental Solutions, a company owned by Detroit at Work success story David Gillespie, is hiring for asbestos abatement workers.
Duties for asbestos abatement workers will include the following:
- Install, assemble and disassemble scaffolding.
- Responsible for containment preparation which includes performing the following tasks:
- Assemble scaffolding and seal off work area using plastic sheeting and duct tape.
- Build connecting walkway between mobile unit or portable showers and work area.
- Set-up portable air evacuation and filtration system inside work area.
- Follow all standard operating procedures (SOP) during the asbestos removal and cleanup process.
- Place plastic sheeting and disposal bags into required containers, bags and/or trucks.
- Follow decontamination process.
- Will interact closely with peer asbestos workers and job supervisors to effectively and safely complete
- all asbestos removal tasks.
- Support the handling and removal of asbestos and other hazardous waste material under OSHA and EPA guidelines in addition to other federal, state and local regulations.
- Complete specific projects, assignments and other tasks as assigned.
- Out of town travel is possible.
No asbestos removal experience is required! Some basic qualifications will include:
- Basic knowledge of MIOSHA/EGLE and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations.
- Must have a current certificate of completion for the 40-hour EPA AHERA class and complete the 8- hour refresher annually.
- Must complete the MIOSHA State exam and have a valid LARA license.
- U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident Alien status or Authorization to work in the U.S.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Physical demands While performing the essential duties of this job will require employees are required to walk, sit, and use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, reach with hands and arms; and balance, stoop, kneel, climb ladders, stairs and scaffolding.
Employees will use tools such as scrapers, hammers, sledge-hammers, power tools, floor buffers, knives, and shovels.
Employees must regularly lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 60 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Must be able to pass a respirator fit test, as well as be cleared to work around asbestos and other hazardous materials that are associated with the position.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employees are required to wear a respirator up to 12 hours per day and other PPE, as they are regularly exposed to asbestos, and other hazardous materials; occasional exposure to work near moving mechanical parts; regularly exposed to indoor and/or outdoor temperature fluctuations caused by equipment and/or outside weather conditions in addition to humidity. Employee may experience vibration while working with sledge-hammers and power tools. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Here's How to Apply!
Apply by logging into your Detroit at Work account and searching for Abatement Worker position at Detroit Environmental Solutions