Blight Remediation - Join the Detroit Team Making Our City a Prettier, Safer Place!
The General Services Department Blight Remediation Program will be primarily focused on remediating blight throughout the City of Detroit.
We are seeking candidates who are:
HARDWORKING – ENTHUSIASTIC – COMMITTED
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work as a member of a team to clear properties citywide of debris/solid waste/brush/dumping and blight. Workers will:
- Perform various task using handheld tools and equipment such as trimmers, saws, airless paint sprayer, and similar items.
- Operate with proper safety precautions with other workers, the public, and adjacent property.
- Actively assess work location for hazards.
- Ensure all equipment is cleaned at the end of the day.
- Wear protective gear at all times when working.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the work vehicle inside/out.
- Assist the Division with various tasks as needed.
- Work may require operation of an aerial lift truck
- This position requires enrollment in a collaborative training program between the City of Detroit and Detroit At Work.
- Employees in this position will spend approximately 50% of their time in training programs, suited to their educational needs and career aspirations.
- Employees will spend the other 50% of their time performing work as described in this specification.
Key Characteristics of a Successful Candidates:
- Ability to maintain good communication with supervisors, team members
- Ability and willingness to follow directions.
- Ability to determine the most efficient way to achieve the goal for the day.
- Motivation to ensure all assignments and work orders are completed in a prompt and efficient manner.
Evaluation for eligibility to participate in the Skills for Life program is required.
The employee generally engages in light to strenuous physical activity which may include operating machinery, motor vehicles, standing/walking, heavy equipment, and using tools for an extended period of time. The employee is expected to move about and ascend/descend (e.g. stairs, ladders, trees etc.) to accomplish tasks. The employee must be able to lift, push, pull, and carry up to (50) pounds.
Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments with potential exposure to conditions which may include fumes, extreme heat and cold, wetness, loud noise, dust, inclement weather and hazardous chemicals. Some work requires travel to meetings, conferences, and other work sites with exposure to seasonal weather conditions. Employees in this class are required to wear appropriate safety attire in accordance with departmental and MIOSHA safety regulations.
- Blight Remediation Technician
- Industrial Painter Technician
- Click the Link below
- If you are not directed to the Blight Remediation Technician job order, please take the following steps:
- Login or sign up for the Job Seeker Portal (link below)
- Select the Find a Job box
- Search for Blight or General Worker and select Search Jobs